Ever you hear about the sea moss detox or sea moss detox symptoms? Are there any side effects of using sea moss? And how much sea moss you can take daily? These are some common questions that many people have. So, I am here to answer all these questions in detail. So, let’s move on and take a look.
Sea moss or carrageen moss is a seaweed that is quite popular as a superfood among people. It grows abundantly around the Ireland shores, Canada, Japan, and southern Spain. Its scientific name is Chondrus Crispus, and rich in vital nutrients and minerals. It has countless health benefits. However, there are also some side effects of sea moss that we will cover in this article. So, stick to the article and see.
What Is a Sea Moss Detox?
Sea moss detox is quite nutritious and beneficial for health. It may be sea moss gel, drink, tea, or smoothie. People take sea moss detox in their diet as it detoxifies their body.
Detoxification is a process in which heavy metals or toxins are removed from the body. And, sea moss is very effective for this purpose. It detoxifies the liver, digestive tract, kidneys, and blood.
In addition, sea moss detox nourishes the good bacteria of the digestive gut and thus improves the process of digestion. It also enriches the functioning of the colon. Besides this, it also removes the harmful microbes from your body and improves bowel movements.
Sea moss detox also boosts immunity and meets the nutrient requirements. Moreover, it is responsible for a healthy heart and thyroid glands. And, several studies reveal that it is helpful for skin and hair health.
Therefore, people take sea moss detox in their diet to stay healthy. You can prepare it according to your taste and health preferences. Usually, people add sea moss in their routine drinks, desserts, stews, soups, and casseroles. And simply, it goes great.
However, don’t use sea moss in excessive quantity, as it can disturb your hormonal balance. And, it’s too much usage may make you sick.
Sea Moss Detox Symptoms
There are some milder sea moss detox symptoms which many people have. Sea moss may disturb your body when you begin to take it, initially.
However, these detox symptoms may vary from milder to stronger depending upon the immunity level of people.
Many people with sensitive health report some common symptoms like initial fatigue, nausea, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, or headache.
It may also disturb the menstrual or sleep cycle in women. By the way, all these detox symptoms are quite normal because initially, your gut bacteria are not habitual to this seafood. And, when you take it regularly, your body adapts to it.
Irish moss detox symptoms are due to the reason that it detoxifies your body. And, you should lower the intake quantity if there are severe symptoms. In that situation, drink more water and take raw fruits and vegetables to make a balance.
These detox symptoms may last up to a week, but it is totally dependent on your diet and nutrition. However, people with stronger immunity may not have such severe symptoms.
What Are the Side Effects of Sea Moss?
Although, there are numerous health benefits of sea moss but there are also various side effects of this seaweed. However, these side effects are most common in health-conscious or sensitive people.
And if you want to take it, you must know about all these side effects of sea moss detox. Here, I compile a comprehensive list of sea moss disadvantages. So, let’s see.
- Sea moss often causes neurological downsides that may adversely affect the central nervous system. Therefore, you may feel dizziness, headache, lethargy, and migraines.
- Sometimes, sea moss causes allergies to some people. This side effect is due to the higher iodine and sulphur content of seaweed. And, these allergic reactions are common among individuals with hyperthyroid and sulphur allergies.
- As you know, sea moss is rich in iodine and sulphur, therefore its higher quantity can also cause breakouts and itching. Thus, it often disturbs the responses of the autoimmune system.
- As the improvement of the functioning of digestive tract is the primary purpose of sea moss detox, so it initially causes abdominal cramps. And thus, people often observe the feeling of fullness.
- After starting the take up of sea moss detox, you may feel unusually tired, fatigued, or even sleepy. Sea moss can sometimes make you dehydrated and feel dizzy. So, in order to avoid these detox symptoms, take a rest and drink water or natural fruit juices.
- Some people with sensitive tummies suffer from nausea when they consume sea moss detox. Therefore, in the beginning, take a little sea moss so that your body gets familiar with it gradually.
- As the sea moss detox has a higher content of iodine, so it affects the thyroid glands and hormones. And thus, it causes a hormonal imbalance within the body. So, people with hyperthyroidism should avoid intaking sea moss.
- Sea moss can also cause constipation, itching, bloating, or vomiting in some cases. Therefore, if you are suffering from these detox symptoms in starting, contact your doctor or therapist.
So, keep in mind all these side effects and take a small quantity of sea moss detox in starting. In this way, your body gets adapted to it gradually.
Read also: Can You Eat Raw Scallops?
You can add sea moss in your routine recipes as it has a mild flavor and doesn’t change the final taste of your dish.
For instance, you can use it in your desserts, smoothies, stews, muffins, salads, or soups. So, in this way, you will be able to develop tolerance against this super seafood, and it will also go well.
Ways of Intaking Irish Moss
People consume sea moss in a variety of different ways. However, you can also take it in your diet according to your preferences. By the way, I will tell you here all the ways of consuming sea moss in your diet.
- One of the best ways is to use sea moss detox powder. This powder seems to be helpful as you can easily ingest it with water or milk. And, you can also add it to your routine drinks, shakes, or smoothies. To prepare it, dry the seaweed and grind it until it becomes a fine powder.
- Ingesting sea moss pills or capsules is another way of taking Irish moss. So, if you dislike its taste or flavor, then it is the best way to include this detox in your diet.
- Moreover, you can also prepare sea moss gel as it goes great in your routine recipes and food dishes. It is quite popular among chefs who prepare delicious sweet treats like desserts, drinks, or shakes.
- Besides this, sea moss tinctures are gaining popularity these days. And thus, many people consume sea moss tinctures. By the way, you can also mix them in your food.
How Much Sea Moss Detox You Can Take Daily?
As I already mentioned that sea moss detox is rich in vital nutrients and minerals like iodine, sulphur, and iron. All these nutrients are necessary for our health, but too much intake can cause side effects. so, you should be careful about that.
Read also: Can You Eat Raw Mushrooms?
It is advisable to take 1 to 2 tablespoons or 4 to 8 grams of sea moss daily for adults. However, ½ or 1 tablespoon of sea moss is enough for children. Therefore, you can balance your body nutrients by checking your daily intake of nutrients.
In this article, you find the sea moss detox symptoms and the side effects of sea moss. I also explain the ways of consuming this super seafood and other related facts.
Although, sea moss is quite healthy and beneficial for human health, but at the same time, it also causes some side effects.
Therefore, keep in mind all the detox symptoms and downsides in your mind before consuming sea moss. And, if you observe any of the given detox symptoms, immediately contact your doctor.