Just as you need land to build a house, a “server” is essential to launching a web service. Servers can be purchased and used by individuals, but they are expensive and require technical knowledge and time to prepare for construction and operate on a daily basis. In such cases, a rental server is convenient.
In this article, we will explain the mechanism and advantages and disadvantages of rental servers in an easy-to-understand manner even for those who are using rental servers for the first time.
Table of Contents
What is a rental server? Explanation of the mechanism
A rental server is as the word suggests, a service that rents out servers Although it is possible to start up a server from scratch, it is difficult to use it easily because it requires specialized knowledge and costs such as maintenance and server installation costs. However, by using a “rental server,” you can use a server easily, safely, and securely.
Before we get into the details of rental servers, let’s first take a look at “servers”. A server is a computer or software that provides information or processing results over a network. It’s a little difficult.
What can you do with a rental server?
What can you do by using a rental server?
Here we will introduce the following three.
- You can publish your website or blog.
- You can publish affiliate sites and EC sites.
- You can use your own email address.
You can publish your website or blog
A server is required to create and publish a website or blog. Although it is possible to build a server yourself, it is difficult for ordinary people to do so because it is costly and time-consuming.
On the other hand, with rental servers, the management company takes care of the server construction and management, so even beginners can easily set up a website or blog.
You can publish affiliate sites and EC sites
By using a rental server, you can publish and operate affiliate sites and EC sites.
You can create an affiliate site or EC site with a free blog, but the service of a free blog may end suddenly, so it is not recommended for people who want to seriously run a site.
With a rental server, your site won’t suddenly disappear like free blogs. Even if the service of the rental server you are contracted with ends, you can continue operating your site by contracting with another rental server.
You can use your own email address
When you sign up for a rental server, you can use not only the website but also email. You can also use your own domain, so you can get your own email address for your business.
Some people may think that a free email service is sufficient, but if you are using it for business, we recommend using your own email address from the viewpoint of company reliability and spam protection.
Advantages and disadvantages of three types of rental servers
There are three main types of rental servers.
- “Shared server” where one rental server is shared and used by multiple users.
- “Dedicated server” that allows you to use one rental server exclusively.
- “VPS (Virtual Private Server)” where one rental server is built virtually and shared by multiple people.
Let’s take a look at the features, advantages, and disadvantages of each server.
Advantages and disadvantages of shared servers
A shared server is a rental server where one server is shared by multiple people Running costs are low because the operating costs are shared by multiple users, and management is easy because the rental server management company handles the setup and operation. This server is easy to use even for beginners, as it does not require any specialized knowledge about servers.
Advantages of shared servers
- Running costs are low.
- It doesn’t take long to start using it (can be used relatively quickly).
- No regular maintenance required (performed by the operating company).
- Can be used even by beginners without specialized server knowledge.
Disadvantages of shared servers
- You can only set the same settings as other shared users, so there is little freedom.
- Susceptible to load caused by others.
- You can only add services provided by the operating company, so security cannot be expanded much.
Purpose of use
- Personal blog or website.
- Affiliate site, EC site.
Advantages and disadvantages of dedicated servers
A dedicated server is a rental server that allows you to use the entire server exclusively since it can handle large amounts of access and heavy systems, it can be operated stably even when developing large-scale sites or original applications.
Dedicated servers are often used as business servers (https://deltahost.com/dedicated/dedicated-us.html) because they are less susceptible to interference from others and can operate stably However, since specialized knowledge is required for operation, it is a difficult server for beginners.
Dedicated servers https://deltahost.com/ also come with plans that come with root privileges (administrator privileges), allowing almost all operations granted to an administrator account, making them ideal for customer management. Depending on the rental server company, you can choose whether or not to have root privileges so if you are worried about having all privileges or want to operate easily, you can choose the plan that best suits your situation.
Advantages of A Dedicated Server
- You can use one server exclusively, so you have more freedom than a shared server.
- Strong against mass access.
- You can take security measures using the operating company’s plan and your own settings.
Disadvantages of dedicated servers
- You need to configure and operate it yourself, which requires time and specialized knowledge.
- It takes time to start using it because it is necessary to build a server.
- Running costs are higher than shared servers or VPS.
Purpose of use
- Large-scale sites (websites, EC sites, etc.).
- Customer management, employee management.
- Original application development, etc.
Points for beginners to choose a rental server
We now know that rental servers include “shared servers,” “dedicated servers,” and “VPS,” but beginners end up wondering which one to choose. We recommend that you think carefully about what kind of site you want to create and then choose a rental server that has the functions to create the site you want.
Points to keep in mind when choosing a rental server are:
- Is the server suitable for the size of your website?
- Is the security secure?
- Is the communication speed fast?
- Is the price affordable?
- Server uptime
- Control panel ease of use
- It would be a good idea to pay attention to.
This article explains the advantages and disadvantages of free rental servers and paid rental servers. This will be helpful when choosing a rental server from the perspective of “Is it affordable enough to operate?” Rather than just choosing a rental server that doesn’t cost a lot of money, we recommend comparing the available features and price.